The Media and Entertainment Union
BECTU is the UK’s media and entertainment trade union and, from 1 January 2017, a sector of Prospect; sectors covered include broadcasting, cinema, film, digital media, independent production, leisure, IT and telecoms, theatre and the arts.
The union represents staff, contract and freelance workers who are based primarily in the United Kingdom.
BECTU provides a wide range of services to its circa 40,000 members, including:
• Negotiating pay, conditions and contracts with employers
• Personal advice and representation for individual members
• Advice and representation on health and safety
• Benefits and services for BECTU members
• Training support and courses
• Networking events and career development opportunities
• Union journal, Stage Screen and Radio, published four times a year.
• Website including members only area.
Membership is voluntary, and anyone working or seeking employment in the sectors covered by BECTU can join the union online.
The key aims of the union are to:
• protect jobs
• increase membership
• win new recognition agreements
• improve pay and conditions of service, including pensions.